Monday, July 7, 2008

I Don't Think I've Seen it All, But This Comes Close

If, like me, you watched the raid on the FLDS Yearning for Zion Ranch in Texas and the attendant court cases and thought, "I want to look like Holly Hobby, too! Where do I get those clothes?" then you're in luck. Although currently only children's sizes are available, the FLDS has begun selling clothing that adheres to the Church's standards for modesty through this website.

Why the Web venture? Spokesperson Maggie Jessop told the Salt Lake Tribune last week that "(they) have to make a living the same as everyone else does." A living they should make; a basic dress will run you around $40, which seems steep even if the child will outgrow it before it goes out of style. I didn't feel like going through the motions of check-out, but I am left wondering whether or not they are charging sales tax, given their precarious relationship with state and federal government.

I'm also left wondering when the competing e-commerce sites for Amish wear and Hasidic garb will be launched. Everyone does need to make a living, after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am 4 wearing uniforms in school.because U have problems by letting kids pick what they want 2 wear in school.In society one should b able 2 express thier own individuality up 2 a certain point.yes I am talking about hoochie-mamas.I rememeber a girl who use 2 wear high heels with bandaids around the heel and toe,in trying 2 impress me. she could barely walk in these shoes.I use 2 take her poor feet out of these uncomfortabe shoes and rub her feet until she melted in my arms.she later found out that comfortable was the way 2 get 2 my eyes.I luv u el tunsie.tunsie.tunsie

J. SPIKE ROGAN said...

I'm disapointed the overalls didn't come in ault sizes.